If you have suspicion of Elder Abuse
Call 911 if the abuse is in progress, if not then make a report to one of the following agencies:
Kings County Sheriff’s Office (559) 582-3211, ext. 2790; or
Hanford Police Department (559) 585-2540; or
Lemoore Police Department (559) 924-9574; or
Corcoran Police Department (559) 992-5151; or
Kings County Adult Protection Services (559) 582-8776 (24-Hour Hotline); or
Kings County District Attorney's Office (559) 582-0326.
Goals of Criminal Prosecution:
- Stop the Abuse
- Protect the Victim and Society
- Communicate A Clear Message... "That The Conduct Is Serious And Criminal"
- Hold the Offender Accountable
- Make the Victim Whole
- Rehabilitate the Offender
What the local law enforcement agencies and /or District Attorney's Office can do:
- Communicate a clear message that the conduct is serious, illegal and will not be tolerated.
- Intervene to stop the abuse in any of the following manner:
- Protect Elders From further abuse with:
- Stay-Away Orders, Conditions of release or Probation,
- Order suspects to vacate victim's residence.
- Show abuser the behavior is serious - by the actions of the Criminal Justice System in arresting the suspect and bring him/her before a judge.
- To determine what is owed, get a full accounting from the defendant/obtain restitution for the elder.
- Order defendant to obey orders of other courts, including the Probate Court, and impose criminal sanctions for failure to do so.
- Order defendants to obtain counseling and treatment.
3. Criminal Justice System Can Assist Victims With the Following:
- Payment of medical bills though State Victim Indemnity Fund - where there is violence.
- Referral to community agencies for support.
- Emergency shelter.
- Safe waiting areas in the Courthouse
- Transportation to Court
- Witness fees for meals and expenses.
- Victim-Witness Assistance Programs.
- Court accompaniment.
- Assist with Victim testimony (Conditional exam possibility).